Fruit Waste Facial Steam
Since fall is right around the corner, warm facial steams are my favorite way to nourish. Last week on Glow & Green, I talked about “What are facial steams?” ( Click here ) Today I want to share how you can make a fruit waste facial steam with ingredients at your fingertips! When you are ready for your weekly facial steam, save all your citrus fruit waste for this fantastic recipe. It is indeed a cheap and practical recipe. This is the perfect steam to use when you are working on deep-pore cleansing and detoxing your skin. The bioflavonoids from the fruit peels are excellent preventive remedies for skin. Since this facial steam contains various bioflavonoids, here are a few benefits:
• Bioflavonoids can neutralize reactive oxygen species by donating one of their electrons, thus stabilizing the molecule and breaking the oxidative chain.
• Three of the better-known bioflavonoids are quercetin, hesperidin, and rutin. These bioflavonoids have solid research behind them, proving their power to prevent and reverse wrinkles. They also reduce the appearance of age spots, and even fight spider veins and varicose veins.
• Quercetin is identified as skin’s natural antioxidant fighting depletion caused by UVA irradiation. It also helps rejuvenate dying skin cells, which improves skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
• Hesperidin safely reduces the appearance of age spots by reducing the activity of tyrosinase, the enzyme responsible for producing the skin pigment melanin.
• Rutin helps fight spider veins and varicose veins by maintaining healthy blood circulation. It also decreases capillary permeability and makes the blood thinner, thereby improving microcirculation, So the skin cells receive more oxygen and nutrients. (Reference: here)
That’s why, for anti-aging treatment, this steam will work wonders on your skin as well.
So without further ado: Recipe For Fruit Waste Facial Steam: 2 Cups Distilled Water Lime Peels (2-3 Tbps) Grapefruit Peels (2-3 Tbps) Tangerine Peels (2-3 Tbps) Method: On the stovetop in a small pan, heat the water until it starts to simmer (not boil). Now add lime peels, grapefruit peels, and tangerine peels into the facial steam. Let simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Use it immediately!
To use: Pour the peel water into a large bowl and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Place a towel over your head and lower your face down until you are about 8-12 inches from the container, allowing steam to cool off a little before steaming to avoid accidental burns. Make sure you keep your head far enough from the steam so that it is a warm mist, never hot — steam for 5 minutes.
After facial steam, dab your face with a clean cloth. Apply toner and serum.
Storage: Generally, steams should be used immediately, but strained water can be stored for 1-2 weeks in the fridge. This water can be used to make an active dry facial mask. As this water contains excellent nutrients, it can also be used as a cleaning splash.
Let’s see how you feel about facial steams. A facial can be performed right after applying your facial mask & facial exfoliant. Cleanser, exfoliant, facial masks & facial steams are significant steps towards a homemade facial!